Re: Topband: QRPers calling CQ in the SP ?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: QRPers calling CQ in the SP ?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 10:06:49 -0800
Rick has provided excellent advice on all counts. A few comments -- W6JTI and N6WG are both superb operators -- W6JTI, W6GJB, and I worked FD together this year QRP, and won class 1A Battery, and Frank regularly turns in great scores -- 3830 lists him as the top QRP score west of Chicago for CQWWCW, top QRP score in ARRL 10M, #2 west of Chicago in ARRL DX CW. N6WG has been inactive for several years -- his XYL has had health issues.

Second, emphasizing Rick's advice for a QRP op to NEVER send anything extra, and NEVER repeat anything the other station has copied correctly. Once he's got your call right, NEVER send it again, only send your exchange, and ONLY send parts of the exchange that the other station hasn't gotten right. Example -- if I'm being copied as K0YC, I'll send "K9 K9 K9". If he's got my call right, I'll send only "CM87", and if he's having a hard time (he's asked for repeats more than once), I'll repeat it several times without his asking. Likewise, in ARRL 160, I'll send only "SCV" as a repeat. Remember, making a successful QSO means catching the PEAKS of QSB -- don't waste time sending anything un-necessary.

Third, successful QRP requires catching optimum propagation times, and prop on 160 can vary a LOT during the night and from one night to another in ways that aren't predictable. It's worth studying chapters in the ON4UN book that address propagation.

73, Jim K9YC