Re: Topband: [Bulk] Re: re topband QRP

To: John Frazier <fraz1@bellsouth.net>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: [Bulk] Re: re topband QRP
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 08:47:07 -0800

On 12/26/2015 19:32 PM, John Frazier wrote:

...snip..
That aside, every good pile-up, DX and contest op I know dislikes the use of any self assigned indicator, including /QRP. It s l o w s things down and can easily create confusion, busted call signs and missed Qs.

73 John W4II

YES.

As a "newbie" SSB DX op (~30k Q's),

Please no QRP, no name, no state, no "50 watts to a dipole", no "thanks for 3rd band" (I see that in N1MM before you say it), no <something else>. Just <your call> standard phonetics and then "59 Thanks" to confirm.

At the "far end" it's immediately obvious who the pro DXrs are, and unfortunately about 3/4+ of those in the log aren't. Telling me the state and <stuff> is an epidemic. Hopefully, topbanders will take on some teaching at their clubs about how to work DX. Contact me off list for a presentation I have made at my local club. Between dupes and unnecessary exchange confusion, I think DXpeditions lose about 15% of potential Q's. That is a big deal when their cost per Q is $1 to $5.

Grant KZ1W
ex TX5D, TX7G, E51MKW