Re: Topband: placement oc coil

To: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: placement oc coil
From: Buzz Jehle <buzz@logi.us>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 00:31:07 +0000
A. E. BUZZ JEHLE
POB 2277
BANDERA TX 78003-2277 USA
1 830 796 4196
CELL 1 713 725 5914

On Jan 9, 2016, at 12:24 AM, Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net> wrote:

Rule of thumb...The higher you place the loading coil on the tower before the
horizontal top loading wire, the more efficient the antenna will be.  If the
coil is at the top and then connects to a top loading wire you solve several
problems.  If the wire end is brought temporarily near the ground if can be
punned for resonance of the vertical. This will avoid having to go up avoid you
having to adjust the coil.  Also an old trick was to tape a #47 light bulb with
a few turns at the junction at the top of the tower.  Feed a few watts in the
evening till you get visible illumination then start trimming the end of the
wire.  If the light gets brighter you are going in the right direction but if
it dims just add more wire till it gets to its brightest point.  You might need
a series cap at the base to tune out any reluctance.  Or an MFJ-259 will tell
you how much fixed capacitance to put in.  If the MFJ tells you at the base you
need some ore inductance a simple L network can dea
 l with that.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ