Re: Topband: CW160

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CW160
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 12:22:05 -0500
Interesting conditions here last night. I
heard a whole lot of DX that simply could
not hear me. I'm running QRP and don't
expect to work everything I hear but one
thing for sure, the overall conditions
were really nice. It was fun to take a
break and listen to EU working other EU &
SA and hear both ends of the QSO on 160.

Not sure how good the conditions were for
everyone though, Herb & I worked but he
was one of the very few Caribbean stations
I was able to get a Q with. OTOH, I worked
several California stations as well as OR
& WA so the band was selectively open.

An interesting experience is to hear
stations who have one of the loudest
signals but are unable to hear me. You
have to figure their Rx must be difficult,
either that or they are running power
beyond their ability to hear. I
encountered that quite a bit and again,
running QRP, often my signal not going to
be heard but when someone has such high
signal levels here and can't hear me at
all, they might want to cut back on their
power or, get better a better Rx ability.
Maybe their Rx antennas were pointed in
another direction?

Absolutely not pointing a finger, I just
saw that happen so very often. I know if I
were running more power, I'd make a whole
lot more Qs. Conversely, if they heard
better, they would have made a lot more
Qs.

I'd really like to have the chance to work
a 160 at an excellent location with and
excellent Tx/Rx set of antennas. Wires in
not tall trees are the best I can do and I
have so much fun with them. However, it
would be nice to experience competition
with everything stacked in my favor. I'm
sure we all feel that way. Its been years
since I was at a super station and I'm
ready for that experience again; that was
back in 1986 and so long ago that they had
just started running CT by K1EA which was
first released the year before.

Another have at it tonight so maybe I'll
pick up some of those stations I couldn't
break last night?

73 & good luck,

Gary
KA1J