Re: Topband: CW160

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CW160
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 14:11:27 -0500
Dave,

I wouldn't say Surprised, more like
curious.

Obviously my 5W is not going to break a
pileup and that's no surprise but when
contesting stations with low signal levels
here are working one station right after
another and when I call & they hear me,
that's the usual. When a station is coming
in 10 over & can't hear me no matter how
many times in the night I go back & try to
reach them, I have to wonder why that is.
The hypothesis I entertain is they use
more power than they need but conditions
and directive Rx antennas certainly do
make a difference.

As to the Clicks, the K3 on this end sure
is an equalizer. I use the 250Hz filter &
run the digital filter down to 50 Hz and
its such a big help, Clicks just aren't an
issue any more. I loved all of my old
rigs, especially the Collins S line, but
there is no comparison to today's
technology for contesting.

Good luck in the contest & 73,

Gary