Re: Topband: CW160

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: CW160
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 16:02:53 -0500
I'm thinking I need to add a qualifier to
my earlier post; in no way am I
complaining how hard it is to work QRP on
160 and for surer, it's harder on the
station trying to make sense of such
minuscule signals in the ether. I just
noticed a certain reality and mentioned
the experience that on the list.

I use directional Rx antennas which knock
out most everything from the USA if I'm
trying to work EU, so I'd miss a QRP but
if I were working stations from the USA,
I'd likely hear weaker stations in that
same direction. And when I do a run using
the amp, I personally turn my power down
when doing so because I don't want to be
an alligator who is being heard everywhere
when I can't hear that far.

For this contest I looked long and hard at
the old Alpha sitting next to me deciding
if I wanted to turn it on and work
everyone I heard or do the QRP S&P and
once again be a masochist if I tried a
run. The dark side in me won out and QRP
won out this time, next time I will
probably flip the switch on & try to see
if I can work everybody I hear.

I see its time to jump in the fray! Hope
to work you.

73,

Gary
KA1J