Re: Topband: Echo on 160m yesterday morning

To: "'Tim Shoppa'" <tshoppa@gmail.com>, "'on7eh'" <on7eh@skynet.be>
Subject: Re: Topband: Echo on 160m yesterday morning
From: "JC" <n4is@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 12:23:30 -0500
Nowadays we have a huge amount of RF repeaters in use for several services,
like , Wi-Fi , LTE4, Data links. Microwave links, FM stations link, TV video
links.

All these systems has a receiver and a transmitter. The intermediated
frequency used can be close to few MHz depending the services. Like video.
Our HF signal can become data in these system,. A lot of this system does
not have the quality necessary, price is always a sales point, so poor
shield is very common.

 SDR technology that provide long delays, and  with very bad IP3 front end
are very common used on these system.

The long cables with not appropriate ground can become efficient antennas
for low bands, the common mode noise can get into the IF system and on the
receiver side and retransmitted on the transmitter side.

My point is that atmospheric plasma loops may not be the only answer for
250ms echo's. It is most unlike due the small power used during the event
observed. Manmade echo are more likely to explain the echo.

73's
JC
N4IS

 repeaters, ----Original Message-----