Re: Topband: 160 4 square

To: "n6bk@yahoo.com" <n6bk@yahoo.com>, JC <n4is@comcast.net>, 'GaryK9GS' <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>, 'Greg' <n4cc@windstream.net>, 'topband' <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 4 square
From: Lee STRAHAN <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 16:45:41 +0000
   Good morning all,
      What I can tell you about the two antennas for 160 meter receiving is
that as many have said before, you cannot have too many receiving antennas for
160 meters. Before Dale N4NN became ill and passed, Dale and I maintained near
daily contact. Dale had the Hi-Z 8 element with very little local noise. We
always quietly compared his station with what you were reporting JC. As near as
I could tell in the Florida area the two antennas were very close to each
other. Most often both antennas would hear the same signals.
  There are a couple more contest stations that actually have both a horizontal
Waller flag and a Hi-Z 4-8pro or 8A 8 circle. In one case the verticals are the
preferred and in the other the word is you need both antennas. My opinion, I
think it depends quite a bit on station location. That is, I think on stations
near the ocean coasts the horizontal Waller flag hears very well. Again, my
opinion but I don’t think it works as well in the mid lands or receiving over
long stretches of land. Eventually we will have enough history to really know
for sure if one or the other is better. Again, there is likely advantages to
either one at different times or locations. Suffice to say there is lots left
to be learned
    In that regard, some stations have reported the Hi-Z full sized 8 circle to
not quite have enough sensitivity in really quiet background noise areas. I
have developed a means to reduce the noise figure of that array very
significantly and the first beta test users are reporting a definite
improvement to the standard Hi-Z 200 foot 8 circle on 160 meters for those
fortunate enough to have a really quiet location.
Lee   K7TJR