Re: Topband: RDF for Transmit 4 Square vs 8 Circle Array

To: "Chuck Dietz" <w5prchuck@gmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: RDF for Transmit 4 Square vs 8 Circle Array
From: <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 17:38:03 -0500
I've had a full size four square on 160 for about 15 years. I still always put up Beverages. They heard well but usually did not out perform the TX array. That said, they hear "differently" as one might expect. Several years ago I put up a Hi-Z 8 circle array optimized for 160. That was the end of the Beverages as they did not perform as well (they were only about 600' although I did have an end-fire Bev array but the 8 circle still out performed it). That said, having had the 8 circle array for six of seven years, it only "out hears" the four square maybe 20% of the time. That said, it is helpful to have it in diversity with the TX array. Having really high RDF RX antennas is not that significant of a benefit here as I have low noise levels (although they continue to creep up with distant new housing, various digital junk, etc.).

YMMV. . .73. . .Dave, W0FLS

-----Original Message----- From: Chuck Dietz