Re: Topband: VU2GSM webSDR use

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: VU2GSM webSDR use
From: Paul Mclaren <paul.mcl@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 15:48:04 +0000
Interesting and an explanation why he doesn't respond to my calls from here in
NW Europe.  I had put it down to poor RX at his end due to high local noise
which I guess is part of the reason.

Regarding SDR's I use a remote SDR situated in a nearby farmers field about 250
metres from my home QTH connected via a 5Ghz wifi link over the top of the
neighbours houses.  It offers two benefits over my own average RFI polluted
garden in the village, the first being virtually zero noise floor and secondly
more space to put up RX antennas.  Just this weekend I connected up a 200 metre
long unterminated beverage which compared to my Wellbrook loop on 80m and 160m
is worlds apart and would have been impossible in my own garden.

I have this stated on my QRZ.com page and it is within the rules of most
contests regarding the radius in which the RX and TX must be located.  I just
see it as optimising the RX of the station.

Regards

Paul MM0ZBH