Re: Topband: No 160m Sunrise Peak

To: Larry <pacer99@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: No 160m Sunrise Peak
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 15:31:14 -0500
I actually wasn't hearing band peaks either, until I got to thinking about
that, and went digging in the RBN stats. The peaks are there. So what gives?

One of the human factors kinds of things that bears on a discussion of
"peaking" has to do with how a human being perceives "louder". One clue
that this is not a simple thing is how people with low output RX antennas
often think a signal is "worse" on an RX antenna vs. the TX antenna when
the wanted signal on RX antenna actually has a quite better signal to noise
ratio.

If observing such an operator real time, you can see that in order to be
perceived as "better", the RX antenna channel needs to be preamplified
until the *noise* in both channels is equal. Then our brain's subconscious
aural processing center will identify the now louder RX antenna desired
signal as better, >>because it is louder<<.

The subconscious aural processing responsible for our remembered feeling
about the signal equates louder with better until the volume becomes
uncomfortable.

Likewise, our remembered idea of signals getting louder has to do with
audio volume on the receiver being louder. I find that these things sound
louder on my MP and 75A3, but do not on my K3. The difference is that the
K3 has *digital* AGC which can do things with signal processing subroutines
impossible or too expensive with traditional analog AGC processing.

In my K3 I have the AGC set so that it's processing is absolute at a
certain output volume that is not to be exceeded. Going by volume,
everything out of the noise is the same volume once it's loud enough to hit
my maximum desired volume set in the AGC. None of my analog RX can approach
this level of control with their AGC circuits. I'm sure it was possible
back then with complex analog circuitry but not with the simpler circuity
appropriate for profit margins on equipment targeted at the ham market.

With the K3, the only way I am going to be able to tell a peak is by
keeping my eye on the S meter.

But when I'm in a contest focused on logging and where the next multiplier
is and keeping my typing clean, I find I almost never look at the S meter
LED's.

But the effect of sunrise, etc, are clearly seen on RBN numbers.

I see the RBN numbers reflected in the thinning out or thickening of
contest stations in the P3 spectral display. That's my digital age
indicator that it might be time to change bands or go get a nap.

But it's not in the audio volume of signals any more. I don't have to put
up with ear piercing volume of loud stations when I'm only left with the
weak hard-to-work ones toward the end of the contest.

There are so many nuanced changes from the old days with the new digital
processing. I can do K3 and MP side-by-side listening, and the K3 clearly
hears and demodulates better than my MP. I prefer the audio "sound" of the
MP to the K3, but I can dig stuff out better with the digital processing of
the K3. The diversity processing of the K3 opens a new usefulness of my
brain's aural processing -- spreading out the audio from two different
antennas across a "sound stage" and let my brain's built in ability to pick
out a single voice in cafeteria racket do the same digging out a discreet
signal from noise spread across the "sound stage".

I'll take the digital. And not worry much if I don't "hear" the band peaks
like I used to.

73,

Guy K2AV.