Re: Topband: Shunt feeding AB-577/621

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt feeding AB-577/621
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2018 14:01:31 -0400

On 2018-10-01 11:47 AM, N4ZR wrote:
> I have an AB-577 with a C-3E on top, and am interested in the
> possibility of shunt-feeding it for 160 - 100 watts only.  Anyone have
> any experience with doing this?  Are the section-to-section joints
> adequately conductive?

The section joints should be adequately conductive given the surface
area.  The big questions would be an adequate connection at the top
and conductivity through the "launcher."

My other option is an inverted L. Should I maybe just go ahead with
that?
Since the standard AB-577 is 48' tall, even with the boom of your
C-3E you are only about 1/8 wave tall on 160.  It will take a good
deal of additional top loading to make the standard AB-577 reasonable
on 160 meters ... I'd consider hanging an inverted L off the side.
Probably easier in the long run.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

I have an AB-577 with a C-3E on top, and am interested in the possibility of shunt-feeding it for 160 - 100 watts only.  Anyone have any experience with doing this?  Are the section-to-section joints adequately conductive?  I would plan to use an omega match, because I'm guessing it would be well short of a quarter wave.

My other option is an inverted L.  Should I maybe just go ahead with that?