Re: Topband: Shunt feeding AB-577/621

To: "'N4ZR'" <n4zr@comcast.net>, "'topband reflector'" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt feeding AB-577/621
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 10:53:56 -0400
Hi Pete,

Good question. I haven't done it with any of my three AB-577s, but I've seen
recommendations from others that the sections be electrically bonded.

I'm not sure about the case for that. I just measured continuity on the flat
portion of a spare tube and it showed zero ohms. If the contact areas are clean
when the mast is assembled, they should make good contact with zero resistance.
The clamp should act to keep the flat areas in contact, as should the downward
pressure from the guys. I guess it may be possible that dirt carried by rain
water might seep into the clamp and get between the sections as they rock back
and forth in the wind, even if it's just by nanometers.

If you buy that possibility, I think it can be overcome pretty easily by
attaching right-angle tabs to the top and bottom of each section with
screws/nuts, and running a section of copper strap between them, also secured
with screws and nuts, or perhaps you can find some sort of clamp that would let
you quickly connect/disconnect the strap as you raise/lower the mast.

Hope this helps.

73, Dick WC1M