Re: Topband: Going OT

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>, Steve Harrison <k0xp@k0xp.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Going OT
From: Wes Stewart via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2024 03:28:14 +0000 (UTC)
 Snake avoidance training is a cottage industry here.  They usually have
defanged or otherwise contained snakes and when the dog gets close they use a
shock collar.  I've not tried that on Sparky since in his case I don't think it
world take.

My understanding is that relocating snakes can be a death sentence since they
are territorial and either come back if not moved far enough or die anyway if
moved too far from familiar ground.  I typically leave them alone, avoid them
on the roads and trails but when they enter my space like this one, or the one
that was in my garage...

Wes  N7WS

    On Monday, August 12, 2024 at 08:01:06 PM MST, Steve Harrison
<k0xp@k0xp.com> wrote:

 On 8/12/2024 7:35 PM, Wes Stewart wrote:
> I managed to grab Sparky and pull him to safety. (This time)*  I had
> the wife keep an eye on the snake while I retrieved my 10-22 and
> dispatched him.
>

> * I say this time because you would think the dog would have already
> learned.

Out here in Yucca Valley-29 Palms-Wonder Valley, we have a number of
rattler catcher-handlers who'll relocate rattlers gratis, several of
whom advertise their services to train dogs to avoid rattlers. I have no
idea how they do that. I've been fortunate in that I've yet to spot a
rattler or even a scorpion where I live (and I frequently go outside at
night to stare at the stars). But my property is Black Widow Capital! I
spot (and usually dispatch) a new one every other night...

73,

Steve K0XP