Topband: CY9C

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: CY9C
From: Wilson Lamb via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2024 11:58:14 -0700
I saw the comment that they were "CQing into callers."
This breaks the dam for me.
I'm sickened to almost giving up by the deplorable manners shown on the bands
these days.
Why shouldn't they CQ into callers?  Those callers shouldn't be calling at all!
Perhaps there's a message there:  They want to contact operators courteous
enough to call when they should!
I always try to find the listening frequency, but often can't, because the
random loudmouth callers are covering up the station actually making a contact!
Sure, when the DX calls CQ, there will be a racket, but after the DX goes back
to someone there should be SILENCE!  Do you really think the DX will actually
answer the random callers?
IMHO, the random callers should be blacklisted and NEVER answered.
Yes, I know there are times when a caller is lost and the DX goes back to
someone who just shows up.
There is simply no point in having 5-10KHz of the band paralyzed by people
calling off frequency and out of turn. More contacts could be made if people
would JUST SHUT UP!
I think many of the randoms can't even hear the DX.  Why, otherwise, would they
call when the DX is sending?
Worst of all are the self absorbed operators who feel they should call when the
DX goes back to a caller and tries to hear them.  What's the point of that?

If I were the DX, I'd just shut down until people could control themselves

I'm almost 83, so don't have a lot of time to worry about this, but it's a
shame to hear a fine signal from DX but be unable to have a contact because of
inconsiderate idiots transmitting on top of everyone, even each other!  There
was so much chaos on 10 and 12m that I just shut down, even though I need those
bands.

160m was better, because there aren't as many of us and manners seemed to be a
little better there.
I heard them, but with serious QSB, so I had trouble confirming my call coming
back.  I called again and heard the response pretty well.  Good thing, since
I'm only in the log once!

PLEASE review your own habits and try to influence others to use some
judgement.  Radio would be so much more fun for us all if we could clean up
this mess.

73,
Wilson
W4BOH