3 versus 4 guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: 3 versus 4 guys
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 12:02:06 -0400

>Recently while going through the ROHN brochure, I noticed that the series of
>foldover towers made by ROHN, both 25 and 45 use a guying method of 4 sets
of
>guys rather than three.  This method of guying calls for guy anchors to be
>set at 30' from the base for a 72' tower which means that the real estate
>needed to put up a guyed tower is reduced somewhat from the traditional 3
guy
>approach.

Hi, Natan --

    Hope you're recovered from Dayton.

    The 4 guys and the 30 foot distance is for the tiltover hinged section
only.  It has to be guyed differently because of the tiltover and twisting
forces on the base.  The tower above the hinge is guyed as usual and at the
usual 80% distance from the tower.

>I wonder if anyone has had experience with using 4 sets of guys rather than
3
>or, better yet, does anyone know of a reference for such things.

    Feel free to use 4 guys but  the evaluation of a PE is strongly
encouraged.

73,  Steve   K7LXC