Grounding CATV Hardline

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Grounding CATV Hardline
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 23:13:04 +0000
I like Denny's (k8do@aol.com) idea about machining a block of aluminum and
I'm sure that the people he recommended for the aluminum stock would have
this material:
              Dillsburg Aeroplane Works
              Dillsburg, Pa
              717/432-4589

I've seen their catalog and it is comprehensive regarding just about
anything you could ever want in aluminum tubing and supplies. However, be
prepared for a substantial bill.

Again, allow me to recommend that you (or for that matter anyone) check out
your nearest scrap metal recovery yard. It has become one of my most
favorite places to visit. Aluminum, steel, stainless, copper, tubing,
piping, wire and cables...
and believe it or not working electronic equipment too (sold by the weight)!
You name it, it's a "gold mine" not only for what's available but the prices
are ridiculously low.

Today I picked up about 40 feet of a oil and gasoline resistant jacketed
stranded copper cable. The diameter of the copper was easily 1/2 inch plus.
It weighed 12 pounds. I think I overpaid but it only cost $10 with some
other pieces of alunimum. It will make a magnificent grounding cable to run
from my roof mount tower down the side of the house to a buried 8-ft ground
rod. Two copper clamps for this cable cost me over $6 at Home Depot!

The scrap metal yard may never have exactly what you want because things
just keep coming and going. You just have to make it a habit to stop by
every once in a while and check out the stock.

73's, Roger
K2JAS@worldnet.att.net