[TowerTalk] Re: Rotator Cable Alternatives

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Rotator Cable Alternatives
From: jbwolf@cris.com (James Wolf)
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 22:04:56 +0000
> Now three or four feet away from the rotor cut the cable and bring it into a
> waterproof electrical box.....
> Roger, K2JAS

I did pretty much the same thing on an HDR-300.
I found a waterproof surplus military connector at a hamfest and
mounted the chasis end of the connector to the lid of a Bud box,
( mounted upside down ),  and attached the other end to the pigtail
from the rotor.  The Bud box is mounted about 2 ft below the rotor.
I used regular electrical hardware to secure the line coming out of
the box and heading down the tower.

Inside the box are also MOV's for lighting protection.   I've rebuilt
this rotor only once from the many lighting strikes that the tower
has taken and that was when it didn't have the right protection.   I
also have MOV's on the control lines at the ground window and inside
the control box as there are expensive parts in that control box. In
most cases you should also use additional MOV's at the bottom of the
tower on the rotor control lines.
James Wolf, KR9U
jbwolf@cris.com (home)
jbwolf@most.fw.hac.com (work)