[TowerTalk] Re: Rotator Cable Alternatives

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Rotator Cable Alternatives
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (AA1K jon zaimes)
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 00:26:10 -0500 (EST)
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
>Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 05:14:48
>To: "Roger L. Elowitz" <K2JAS@worldnet.att.net>
>From: AA1K jon zaimes <jon.zaimes@dol.net>
>Subject: Re: Rotator Cable Alternatives
>
>At 09:43 PM 3/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
>

>>The best idea I've heard about lately... other than the expensive in-line
>>waterproof connector the rotor guys sell (assuming a HAM # style rotor) is
>>to ...  a) remove the screws from the rotor terminal strip, b) remove the
>>two screws holding the terminal strip on the casting, c) thread your control
>>wires through the terminal screw holes of the terminal strip and solder them
>>to the connections inside, d) re-attach the terminal strip.
>>

>Hi Roger...Still the best idea on this I've heard of too! I did this on one
of my T2X's a few years ago when the terminal strip threads stripped out.
Even with a good terminal strip on the rotor, using the 3-foot pigtail is  a
good idea to avoid having to deal with making the awkward connections to the
rotor strip when the rotor is mounted on the tower.

>At the end of the 3-foot pigtail I used two variations, at different times.
One was to twist the wires together and tape the connections with cheap
black electrical tape. The other was to use a large terminal strip and make
the connections with it. Then I taped up the whole strip. Both methods were
in use for several years without problems.

>Just twisting the wires has the advantage of limiting the connection to
identical or similar metals. Using a terminal strip or wire nuts with a
dissimilar metal might accelerate corrosion of the connections.