[TowerTalk] Re: Ground Rods & Ohms

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Ground Rods & Ohms
From: k6ll@juno.com (David O Hachadorian)
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:24:16 EDT
On Wed, 16 Apr 97 10:37:06 CDT ehayes@VNET.IBM.COM writes:
>A short time ago someone indicated they had measured the resistance
>on their ground rods.  How does one do this?  Can it be done with
>something as simple as a digital volt meter?  What two points do
>you measure between?  I don't live in a particularly sandy area but
>have no idea if my ground rods (6) will actually help if lightning
>should visit.
>
>Thanks,
>73  Wayne  AJ5M  ehayes@vnet.ibm.com
>

>--

How about this method? Erect a little vertical near the ground
rod, say 20', resonant at about 11.7 mhz. Attach a very short
piece of coax (< 1 ft) to the vertical/ground rod and measure
the impedance of the vertical with a device such as the Autec
antenna analyzer. If the ground rod is perfect, the impedance
will be 36 ohms. Anything over 36 ohms is attributable to the
ground rod.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
k6ll@juno.com