[TowerTalk] Re: Ground Rods & Ohms

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Ground Rods & Ohms
From: edwoods@pbsac01.isp.PacBell.COM (Woods, Eric D (edwoods))
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:19:00 -0700
Measuring the effectiveness of a ground rod involves finding out what its
connectivity to a place called "Remote Earth" is.  You do not measure ground
values at DC.  Too many stray amps of DC floating around in the earth.  You
use a test set that sends out a know AC freq. at a known current to a remote
ground probe.  You then take another ground probe and profile the voltage in
the ground at ten foot intervals (or more, depending) from the ground rod or
field you are concerned about.

When the current/voltage calc. levels off at a certain distance, you assume
you have reached remote earth and use that value for your ground field
contact resistance.

Eric, K6GV
edwoods@pacbell.com