[TowerTalk] Re: Ground Rods & Ohms

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Ground Rods & Ohms
From: jm@drsmesh.com (Joe E. Mesh)
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 22:16:08 -0400 (EDT)
>>  I was hit by
lightning - a direct hit on the tower -  the following resulted: <<

Me too!   It woke us up out of bed in a hurry!   Loudest thing that I
have ever heard!

I have extensive grounding and a total of 20 eight foot rods (to date)
all exothermically soldered to 3 inch copper or 00 stranded depending on
the application.  The shack has a ground halo and entry through a
Microflect bulkhead behind which solid copper 2X1/4" bars rest as
mounting plates for the Polyphasers on each transmission line.   Lines
all go to a patch panel for quick disconnect and easy switching.

Everything was hooked up!   I had disconnected nothing.   I had no idea
about the storm.

Damage report:

2 garage door receivers fried. I repaired them with new MOVs and new
front end transistors.

A drive sensor fried.   MOVs only problem.

A video camera modulator fried. Hopeless.... ( it was outside of the
halo.

Switching circuit for a 4-square fried.   MOVs.  (I hope that is all --
it is too muddy to get out there yet!)

Entry logic fried.  Some Cmos devices were replaced to fix.

2-way X-10 sender/receiver fried.   Hopeless....

Pole mounted transformer (from the grid) blew it's drop fuse. New fuse
on a pogo stick fixed it.  (Edison did it not me!)

BUT....   All the radios and everything in the shack is just fine!!!!
Computers, modems the whole thing is fine....

W8SS....

--
Thanks....Joe E. Mesh, D.M.D.,C.A.G.S.(Prosthodontics)
from Beautiful Downtown HELL, Michigan USA