[TowerTalk] Need Help With Bow Launching

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need Help With Bow Launching
From: w5rz@cswnet.com (Dennis Schaefer)
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 11:07:55 -0500
At 02:05 AM 4/20/97 -0400, Roger L. Elowitz wrote:
>Hi Guys,
>
>Seriously now........

>a) What kind of arrow do I try to buy (at a sporting goods store I presume)
>and does it need to be weighted at the tip with the fishing line secured at
>the tail end? Will a dowel purchased at Home Depot serve just as well?  I'm
>NOT financially challenged here.

I got mine at Wal-Mart.  Just cheap fiberglass arrows.  They have the
target points, which aren't quite as lethal as the deer hunting arrows.   I
tape a bolt to the pointy end of the arrow and tie the fishing line on that
end also.

>b) I imagine I'd need some kind of cheap fishing (casting) reel but don't
>know what to look for and where to attach it.... on the bow I presume? I've
>never seen this kind of rig.

An open-face spinning reel is best.  Tape it onto a dowel if you don't have
a rod.  Have somebody hold the dowel or stick it in the ground with the
face of the reel pointing in the direction you are going to shoot.  Be
mindful of how the line will travel, so you don't end up with it around
your neck!  You probably don't want to put the line through all the guides
on a fishing rod  - too much friction.  The line must come off easily, any
friction at all will cause your arrow to break the line or go way off course.

>c) What kind of fishing line should I use?

I use 20 pound test monofilament.  This is a little heavy, but is harder to
break.  I shoot mine over pine trees and get hung up all the time, so this
helps get the arrow back down.  On the other hand, 10 lb test would be
easier to break off and just leave the arrow in the tree.  However, the
stuff is not biodegradable, and long strands of mono fishing line trailing
from the trees would be "less than optimum".

>This is a ONE TIME EVENT so I'm not planning on opening up a dipole mounting
>business needing all manner of fancy equipment.

I use a 15 or 20  lb pull child's bow.  Every field day some hot-shot will
come out with his compound bow, big deer hunting bow.  He shoots the arrow,
there is a little "twang" as the line breaks, and the arrow goes on to the
next county.  If you use a powerful bow, you'll have to figure out how far
to pull back.  I think the problem may be more fundamental, though.  My 15
pound bow, when pulled back all the way, just "lobs" the arrow over the
tree.  The stronger bows shoot the arrow with a much higher velocity,
leading to problems.
However, the small bow only works up to about 50-60 feet with the type of
line I am using.
Dennis,  W5RZ