[TowerTalk] ground screen for new lawn

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ground screen for new lawn
From: n4kg@juno.com (T. A. Russell)
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 19:41:33 EDT
On Tue, 27 May 1997 09:21:19 -0400 (EDT) "Charles H. Harpole"
<harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu> writes:

>Help me here, but if grnd screen has no effect on HF Yagis, then why
>is
>height above gnd important to Yagis ?  de K4VUD

        Height above the REFLECTION  POINT determines the angle of
radiation.
        For LEVEL ground, that is the same as the height of the antenna
above
        the ground underneath, but, there is (almost) NO  USEFUL
reflection
        from the ground directly underneath a horizontally polarized
Yagi,
        especially on the higher bands and therefore ground screens under

        the tower       provide no benefit to high band Yagi's.  The
reflection zone
        will be from 2 to 10 times the tower height for most useful
angles of
        radiation. -   de   TOM   N4KG