[TowerTalk] Re: Waterproofing Connections

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Waterproofing Connections
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:42:29 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-16 04:14:46 EDT, K7LXC@aol.com writes:

>  The optional final step is to coat the electrical tape with Scotchkote or
>  clear acrylic spray paint.

      A disparaging remark was made about Scotchkote not being a very good
outdoor electrical tape coating. The reason I mentioned it is because that's
what 3M (the manufacturer) recommends. And I always do what the manufacturer
says.

       It's designed primarily for taped and buried connections so it's UV
resistance isn't very good. I have seen old Scotchkote that has dried up and
flaked off so I'm lukewarm on using it myself.

     OTOH, the clear acrylic paint also mentioned does provide a pretty tough
coating over the electrical tape.

     Perhaps a better material to use is Liquid Electrical Tape. It's a nifty
product that's a UV resistant protective dielectric. It will adhere to metal,
plastic and other surfaces. It comes in a 4 oz. bottle with a built-in
applicator brush and it's waterproof. Just the ticket to put on the terminal
strip on the bottom of your Hy-Gain rotator. It's $7.00 from TOWER TECH.

73,  Steve  K7LXC

    TOWER TECH -- professional tower supplies for amateurs