[TowerTalk] 4 square or yagi ??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4 square or yagi ??
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 13:05:30 -0400 (EDT)
At 11:32 PM 10/20/97 -0500, Steve Narducci <nw9g@netusa1.net> wrote:
>Has anyone really done some comparisons from using a 4 square system to a
>shortened >2 element yagi up about 100 ft ?

Steve,

The Cushcraft 2 el 40 is usually better than a 4 square.  (80' up +).  The
40 should be mounted by itself or above a 20 to 10 beam!  If you can keep
both you will find times when the 4 square is better or you can use the 4
square to quickly pick up mults while running DX with the beam.  Never hurts
to have more than one antenna.

For 80/75, the 2el must be as good as the 2 el Cushcraft 40 to make a
similiar comparision.  Plus the height must be well over 100'.  I had a 2el
HB9CV up with a Create reflector and a G3PTV square dipole (1963 CQ W6SAI
column) for the radiator (looked like 3 el 40 short beam).  Worked better
than my EDZ and various wires and was only down 1S unit from K4JPD on the
UA9/JT1.  The beam was only at 70' and was big enough to get wind damage so
its in my basement now. Compared well with W4DR and others using 4 squares
from defunct Co-latch-co. Even loaded on 160 (worked a JA or two).  Turned
in two decent CQ 160 SSB scores with it and a top GA CW 160 score with a
guest op/call in late 80's.

73, Dave K4JRB
Contesting and Dxing from 1/2 acre lot