[TowerTalk] 4 square or yagi ??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 4 square or yagi ??
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 09:34:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Steve Narducci wrote:

> Has anyone really done some comparisons from using a 4 square system to a
> shortened
> 2 element yagi up about 100 ft ?
> I have a 4 square and have been thinking about mounting 2 element up in the
> air.
> I do admit, the 4 square is much easier to work on being on ground.
> Thanks.....Steve

Well I can tell you how it works against a KLM 2 element at 140'.  I got
my butt kicked!  NQ4I just put up a 2 ele at 140' and we compared signals
last Friday night.  Generally he was 10-15 db better than me.  I think
conditions last Friday night were down and I hope that Rick and I can do
more tests in the future.  I will pass on my results here.

Also, K3LR just put up a 3el M2 (forget the height) fixed to Europe.  If
memory serves, Tim said it was 1 s-unit better than the 4-square to
Europe both on RX and TX.  Maybe Tim will give more details.

73

Bill