[TowerTalk] Kellum Grips

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Kellum Grips
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 23:17:50 EST
In a message dated 98-01-18 22:41:50 EST, dick.green@valley.net writes:

> As long as we're back on the subject of hanging coax, can anyone tell me the
>  best way to attach RG-213 or equivalent to the top standoff arm on my U.S.
>  Tower tubular crankup?
>
>  The standoff has the usual pair of overlapping fingers that you can squeeze
>  together to form a circle (like the eye of a needle). The cable comes up
>  from the ground through the eyes of six standoffs. It is attached only to
>  the top standoff, which is right below the antenna (in other words, as the
>  tower is raised or lowered, the coax slides though the bottom five eyes.)
>  Would a Kellum grip be the best bet, and if so, which model?

    I just got done with a similar project with one of the 89-footers. It had
6 runs of RG-213 and 2 runs of control cables. Needless to say, it's a lot of
weight to hang on one of those standoffs. I put a diagonal support made out of
angle aluminum and a U-bolt plus nut and bolt from the tower leg (this is a
lattice tower, not your tubular) and now it's strong as heck.

    At the top of each cable run there is a Kellem grip that hangs from the
metal circle at the end of the standoff.

    The grips have a range so what you want is one that'll support 1/2 inch
cable but big enough to go over the PL259. I don't have the p/n but your
supplier can look it up.

73,  Steve   K7LXC