[TowerTalk] Antenna Tuner

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Tuner
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 07:44:53 -1000
At 08:12 AM 4/2/98 -0800, Elliott Lawrence wrote:

>Does anyone have any thoughts on the suitability, construction
>and performance of  multi-KW antenna tuners available today on the
>market?  Nye, Vectronics, MFJ, etc.  Considering the purchase of a tuner.

Hi Elliott, You don't mention the XMatch built by Paul Shrader, N4XM,
nor do you mention which bands are of interest.

If low banding,  you ought to really look into the  XMatch!  It is rugged,
"Plain Jane" design -- no meters,  second antenna socket, no balun, etc;
and costly,  but will match 160 on up with no problems at all.  And it
takes power just fine;  my 87A has no trouble with my 600 foot long
wire antenna pairs (1200 foot doublets,  center fed) when using the
XMatch unit!

Try to find one and talk to the owner,  use one a bit,  you will see.

73,  Jim,  KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai