[TowerTalk] Hole Alignments

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hole Alignments
From: shueyj@epix.net (Joe Shuey NE3H)
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 14:42:49 -0400
OK Guys .. I really hate to make a posting, but I will attempt to
describe how I have accomplished this chore.

I make a 'jig' to drill tubing.  Make the jig from 1/2" or thicker piece
of rectangular material.  The material must be true and square.  Scribe
lines on the thick edge and a corresponding line against the face of the
material.  Use a center punch, a center drill and finally a finished
size drill for the holes.  On the 1/2" side use a drill the diameter of
the clearance hole for the screw or 'U-bolt'.  On the flat side of the
stock drill a hole corresponding to the O.D. of the tube to be drilled.
A drill press must be used to keep the holes straight and square.
Typically I like the drill to have at least 1/2" guided in the hole of
the jig before entering the tubing.  For instance on a 1" piece of
tubing I would use a jig that is 2" x 2" x 1/2".  I also use a smaller
piece of tubing inside ( or a dowel ) to keep from denting ( and
minimizing the burr).

I am usually in a hurry an just make a jig from a piece of plexiglas,
but the hole is easily enlarged if you are not careful.  Using a piece
of 1/2" aluminum ( or preferable steel ) could make a nice permanent
jig.

73! de Joe   NE3H