[TowerTalk] Hole Alignments

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hole Alignments
From: priggins@usit.net (Patrick Riggins)
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 23:18:14 -5000
> What is the best way to mark and drill holes in a straight line
> along an alumimun tube? Also drilling thru to the other side of the
> tube straight? An example would be 2 holes along the axis of an
> element for a U-bolt. It seems that I never get it correst and end
> up enlarging the holes to get hardware to fit. Thanks,
>
> Jim Bruce/ NV3V

I am not sure this will work but it is just a thought. You might drill
the holes into a board first with the proper spacing. Then drill four
other holes that some U-bolts would fit into and around the aluminum.
The just U-bolt the board to the aluminum and drill through your
pre-drilled, pre-spaced holes into the aluminum. The U-bolts would
hold the board securely onto the element and the pre-drilled board
would make sure you got the holes exactly right. I have never tried
this as I haven't ever built a beam antenna but it just came to me
while reading your post. Good Luck !!

-- Patrick Riggins KA4ZNU
    priggins@usit.net