[TowerTalk] R7000 SWR Problems

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] R7000 SWR Problems
From: N3SL@aol.com (N3SL)
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 20:09:52 EDT
Tim,
    First thing of note: The antenna is too low.  I started right where you
are, and had the exact same problems.  I moved it up to 8' and still had SWRs
> 3:1 on several bands.  If I tuned for 15m, 17 was shot, etc.  I was doing
the same things (cables, matching box, taking things apart, cleaning, etc) to
no avail.
    I took the thing down to move to a temporary QTH.  Here, I have a deck
about 10 feet off the ground.  I lashed the same 8' support pole to the deck
rail and fired up.  No SWR problems at all across any band!  Don't even need
the rig internal tuner.  Now, I realize good SWR has nothing to do with
signals, but with the R7000 and 100 watts from a 1000MP, sitting here in Iowa,
I've gotten through to the H40, FO/M, FO/A, and 3B7 expeditions, so it must be
working.
    Hope your fix is as simple as this.  Good luck!

73,
Steve