[TowerTalk] R7000 SWR Problems

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] R7000 SWR Problems
From: kn6di@groupone.net (Dan Arney)
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 17:34:49 -0700
Tim do not feel bad about the R-7000. I have one that I guess is one of the
prototypes as it has no S/N and I talked to CC 3 times and gave up. They said
it was never under warranty and it had been sent back to the
twice from the person/ORG that bought it in FL. I paid $300 plus UPS for it,
and it has to be the worst antenna I have ever used, if the signal is 59 on a
good antenna it will be 4/5 7/7 on R7000. I just acquired my
2nd 5BTV which I am going to put up at the QTH for a looksee antenna. Can't get
the SWR down to anything in a decent level. My R-7 was far better mounted in
the same place. The base of the R-7000 is abount 30' in the
air on a flat roof.. I am afaraid to put any power into it, do to SWR. My 5BTV
at my shop is up about 45' over 6000 SQ' of metal roof, works but have lots of
QRN due to industrial power in the area. Had a 5BTV in
Zambia as 9J2DI on the 8th floor of the hotel in Lusaka barefoot with a TS-50
and was it hot. worked 35 countries in only 78 contacts. Rob worked CW and I
think he worked nearly 70 countries.
I am not happy in any way with the help from Cushcraft, and am going to try to
get my money out of the R-7000 and will never use a C.C. antenna again except
the 6 ele 6M that I modified to a 4 ele RAIbeam, it is at
least 3 times better than 6 ele.CC. Also have 2 13B2's for local and 4 11ele
2M's for phased.
The customer service at CC, S---s
Hank KN6DI
my .02