[TowerTalk] Concrete base dimensions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Concrete base dimensions
From: kd4wiw@ipass.net (Stephen Vinson)
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 11:50:59 -0700
N3XVY wrote:

> Hello to all,
> Name here is Bob & call sign is N3XVY.
> I am about to put up a tower. Only 3 or 4 sections with a hinged base.
> The base plate is 24"x24" with  eight - 1/2" mounting holes drilled
> around the perimeter. I intend to use 1/2" threaded rod with a bend
> imbedded into concrete.
> My question is: What should the dimensions of the concrete base
> support be and will guy wires be needed?
> Thanks in advance,
> de Bob Tillander - N3XVY

Bob
For safety sake I would do one of two things.  "This is my personal
opinion only - with nothing to back-it up by my peace of mind" ...

1. With the type tower you are describing I would only use it if it were
guyed or attched (bracketed at 50% and 25% of height) to a substancial
support.  More than likely the base plate will not support the entire
tower.

2. I have always poured at least a cubic yard 3'x3'x3' base or a round
24" diameter and 4' deep base.  With either install r-bar cage that will
physically attach to your mounting bolts.  If wou are going to attach
guys then try to get stainless steel anchor bolts.  Since the shear
force will only apply on raising and lowering you should not have any
problens.

My personal favorite is galv 1" rod.  Several years after I put up my
tower I came across 50 to 60 - 1" 4-5' galv rods threaded on each end
with nuts.  Some of them are now holding down several towers here and I
only wish I had them when mine went up.  I strongly suggest that you
prep yours very well as this is the only part of your tower that is hard
or impossible to monitor well.

I'm sure Steve and some of the others will jump in with some very good
advice soon.  The weakest inlk in a tower is the base ... if you have to
cut cost this is not the location to do so.  The nicest looking tower
still looks bad when you look at horizontally .... HeeHee  :)

Good luck with your project ....

Steve
KD4WIW
E-mail:   kd4wiw@ipass.net