[TowerTalk] The best sidemount

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] The best sidemount
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 17:51:09 -0500

>An upside down J made of galvanized water pipe passes through
the upper
>plate's bearing and into the rotor.
>
>Voila.....
>
>By making the upside down J have its horizontal component longer
than the
>distance from the center of the rotor to the far side of leg A
or C, you
>have the same effect as the commercial "Swinging Gates"....no,
that is not
>the new rock group from Microsoft.

Which leg of the upside-down J connects to the rotator?  The
short or long leg?
My assumption is the rotator connects to the end of the long leg.
You didn't say (in your otherwise very clear mental picture you
drew) and it's not clear in the picture.

>This length allows for the boom, when mounted at right angles
(when viewed
>from above/below) to the horizontal part of the "J" to travel
about the
>tower for approximately 300 degrees of rotation before the tower
gets in
>the way again.
>
>A dead spot in the SW quadrant for NA hams should be fine....you
can still
>catch your Pacific OK and not hamper SA path.
>
>It works......though the picture is not zoomed in you can see
what Bill has
>been up to during his Summer break from teaching at the Florida
Contest

http://www.contesting.com/towertalkfaq.html
http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm