[TowerTalk] Projected area of Hy-Gain beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Projected area of Hy-Gain beams
From: spelunk.sueno@mci2000.com (spelunk.sueno)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 20:18:49 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_003B_01BDCAE5.6946A180

     About 15 years ago I built something like this using a Heathkit =
weather station.  (This was the same project that used the Hoffman =
equipment boxes I mentioned in another post.)

     The Heathkit unit provided digital outputs of windwpeed, direction, =
temp, pressure; third-party sensors provided relative humidity.  I =
(actually, engineering students working for me) wrote machine code for =
Apple II's (!!!) to read the met data and record it; BASIC was too slow.

     For tower control today, one could use a similar system sold by =
folks like Peet Bros. as advertised in 73. (www.peetbros.com).  Bring =
the wind speed and direction from the serial port into a PC.  Use peak =
speed or average speed over some user-selected time interval to trigger =
rotator, via PC, to turn mast into wind.  If peak exceeds another higher =
threshhold, bring the (crank-up) tower down to a safer level.   Mount =
the anemometer (wind-speed indicator) near the tower top; it won't do =
the mast much good to know how blustery it is on top of the garage.  Use =
opto-isolators to connect the PC to the rotator controller if you're =
home-brewing this thing. =20

     I would caution against using this system as an excuse to overload =
a tower.  This ought to be used only to protect a properly designed and =
installed antenna system from damage in the event of unexpectedly high =
sustained winds.  Also, don't assume the PC (and power grid) will be =
operating during hurricane/tornado weather. =20

     Something to think about.

-Gene Smar  AD3F

    =20