[TowerTalk] Projected area of Hy-Gain beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Projected area of Hy-Gain beams
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 10:47:58 EDT
In a message dated 98-08-19 05:37:06 EDT, ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us writes:

>  What about a wind
>  direction--sensor/limiter that would provide an indicator of directional
>
>  wind stress, or actual rotor control in high wind conditions to prevent
>  overstressing a tower?
>
>  Would this not allow one to load heavier and only be directionally
>  limited
>  as high winds dictated?  It would allow larger antennas on lighter-duty
>  towers, would it not?
>
>  Sounds like a new rotor control option, especially for areas plagued by
>  high winds.
>
>  Hmmm, the gearloose inventor in me seems to have broken loose of the
>  restraints!
>
>  Hi guys,
>  Well you both read my mind. A control system such as you both have
>  described was on my mind and would be very useful. It would really need
>  some good logic behind it to perform some adjustable time based
>  averaging to keep the rotator from going nuts.

      This year at the International DX Convention in Visalia, a new product
was demonstrated. It consisted of an anemometer mounted on the top of a US
Tower crank-up that was hooked up to a digital control box at the bottom of
the tower (in this case) or in the shack. It gave the height of the tower at
all times on the digital display. You preset the windspeed limit and when it
is reached, the tower is automatically lowered. It was pretty slick and came
from Japan where guyed towers are extremely rare. I don't know if US Tower
will be a dealer for this product or anything.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC

http://www.championradio.com