[TowerTalk] Rohn Tower Designs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn Tower Designs
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 12:17:56 EDT
From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 14:03:14 +0100 k6ll@juno.com writes:

>I'm not a PE/ME, but I am a EE. I've tried to reverse engineer some of
>the Rohn configurations in their catalog without any success. I would
>like to see one set of Rohn engineering calculations to see how they
>did the math, and what safety factors were applied. If anyone has
>access to a set of these calculations, either commercial or amateur,
>I sure would like to obtain a set, as a starting point for a
>math model.
>
>Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
>San Diego, CA
>K6LL@juno.com

K1VR:  One of the reasons that reverse engineering Rohn specs is
difficult is contained in the following phrase.

See Rohn 55G, drawing C630655 r9 ("Nomenclature") in which compression
capacity, moment capacity, and tension capacity are all specified with
"1/3 increase in allowable stress."  Guy wire specifications are at a
safety factor of 2:1.

If anyone can figure out what that means and be confident of the
interpretation, we'd all know more about this foggy business. -- Fred

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]