Re[2]: [TowerTalk] Rohn Tower Designs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re[2]: [TowerTalk] Rohn Tower Designs
From: Hank.Lonberg@harrisgrp.com (Hank Lonberg)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 9:41 -0800
     Fred:

     The safety factor is typically stated as the value used in the design
     as a ratio of the breaking strength of the guy. Sometimes it is a
     ratio of the allowable strength but not often. Therefore the safety
     factor of 2 means that the maximum guy tension in the design is held
     to one-half of the breaking strength of the guy.

     The 1/3 increase in stress is a design stress allowable increase when
     you are combining loads such as dead load + live load + wind load or
     earthquake load on a structure. What it says is that by including wind
     or earthquake loading you can increase the allowable stress value by
     1/3 to account for their short term nature and transitory application.
     This stress increase is allowed by the AISC design code for structural
     steel which is adopted by all the building codes used in the US. It is
     also used in other material design codes.

     Hope this helps to clarify what is being stated on the dwgs.

     Hank Lonberg  P.E. (civil and structural)
     KR7X