[TowerTalk] Re: TORQUE ARMS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: TORQUE ARMS
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 04:04:45 -0600
Thanks for your reply Steve.  See comments and more questions
 intersperced below.    N4KG

On Sat, 22 Aug 1998 23:42 "Steven H. Sawyers n0yvy"
<sawyers@inav.net> writes:

>By the time the tower rotates far enough to have the torque arms
>do any good you have already used up most of the allowable lattice
>strength. Commercial installations don't use "torque arms" as hams
>do, they use things like the TA25 Torque Arm Stabilizer to get 6 guys
>to 3 anchors. Only the ones they use fasten onto the tower a lot
>better than the TA25 does and have more iron in them.

        OK,  I can follow that, but what if a base plate and pier
        pin is used to allow the bottom of the tower to rotate
        to accomodate the twisting movement?

        It has taken a long time, but I have finally come to
        appreciate that a rigidly mounted base is not a
        good thing, especially if side mounted antennas
        are installed, adding greatly to the torsional load.

        Still, I cannot help but recall that towers with
        torque arms FEEL more rigid when climbing.
        Is this an illusion?    de   Tom   N4KG

>Lots of commercial installations have 8 and 12 foot dishes side
>mounted
>to a tower, but they use the six guys to take up the torsional load
>and not feed it into the whole tower length.

        Yes, I have seen some of those.  NO question,
        they will handle a LOT more torsion than a single
        guy with a torque arm.

        Your  revelation that guy wire strength is the limiting
        factor for towers of 100 ft or less is enlightening.
        Rather than going up a step in guy wire size, would
        using a torque arm stabilizer and 6 guys at the top
        be a viable alternative or would the torsional loads
        require heavier cable as well?

        Final questions,  I  ASSUME  that  a guy bracket,
        with or without torque arms,  is a better / stronger /
        safer way of attaching guys than looping around
        a tower leg.   Correct?   IF one does loop a tower leg,
        is it better to include the corners of the Z bracing in
        the loop?      de   Tom  N4KG

>de n0yvy steve
>
>At 06:45 PM 8/22/98 -0600, T A RUSSELL wrote:
>>
>>On Fri, 21 Aug 1998 22:46 "Steven H. Sawyers n0yvy"
><sawyers@inav.net>>writes:

>>>They don't do any good and are a waste of time and money.
>>>
>>>de n0yvy steve
>>>
>>Steve,
>>
>>I am confused by this response.  How did you come to this
>>conclusion?  Kindly provide your  evidence.
>>
>>I invite you  to climb 120 ft of Rohn 25 guyed WITHOUT torque arms
>>and then climb 120 ft of R25  WITH torque arms and tell me there is
>>NO  DIFFERENCE.   I don't buy it.   Anyone else have an opinion?
>>
>>de  Tom  N4KG

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]