[TowerTalk] Models and Specs in QST Ads

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Models and Specs in QST Ads
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 08:44:01 -0400
At 04:07 PM 9/16/98, sbest@cushcraft.com wrote:
>     Relative to my refusal to provide detailed information to Dave
>     (w6anr), he quite simply asked for more information than we typically
>     provide to customers, like trap L, C and Q values.  This is a bit
>     different than standard technical support.  We thought we were doing
>     the community a big favor by placing all of our manuals on the web
>     page for FREE download.  Everyone should simply have fun with modeling
>     the antennas and comparing performance.

Steve, that's great for modeling monobanders, and you're to be commended
for making those manuals available, but for modeling trapped antennas,
values of R and X, or values of L, C, and R, as well as the physical trap
dimensions, are required.

You also commented skeptically on the fidelity of models.  In my limited
experience -- perhaps LB and others can comment in more detail -- untrapped
HF yagi models with few elements aren't apt to get too badly out of whack
unless you have data entry errors, or fail to use enough pulses to converge
adequately.  Comparing the SWR curves of a model and a real antenna is a
fairly good test of fidelity too.

Since you use NEC4 currently, I hope you'll give very serious consideration
to posting your models and using the gain/pattern data they generate in
your ads and other publications.

73,  Pete Smith N4ZR
In wild, wonderful, only middlin' rare WEST Virginia