[TowerTalk] More on the fiberglass/KT34XA problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] More on the fiberglass/KT34XA problem
From: thompson@mindspring.com (thompson@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 11:12:23 -0400
So far I have 3 replies but none mentioned the fiberglass problem.

I spoke with KLM about the problem of the 4" fiberglass separators starting
to crumble and was told that the cause is pollution.  The two in the D1
element are black and about half gone.  I was told this is an extreme
condition.
So far the other elements are not nearly as bad (They have been up since
late 1980).   I have not started on the dual driven element.

The KLM person asked me if I had wind in addition to the pollution and I
said the antenna went through 85MPH winds from Opal in Oct 1995.  The rods
were OK last time I brought the XA for repair in 1992.

I went ahead and ordered 8 of the fiberglass rods.  I got the caps in 5 or 6
days so should be back repairing the first week in Oct.

If you live in or near a city, a mountain area with acid rain problems
especially if combined with winds from time to time...better check your XA
or KT34A every couple of years.

73 Dave K4JRB