[TowerTalk] More on the fiberglass/KT34XA problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] More on the fiberglass/KT34XA problem
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 10:18:45 EDT
In a message dated 98-09-26 05:50:28 EDT, wa3gin@erols.com writes:

> I coat all fiberglass components with PLASTIC DIP ( the stuff used to
>  dip plyer handles).
>  It is life long protection for the fiberglass. I have several vertical
>  antennas that use fiberglass
>  as insulators between sections and as others have mentioned after
>  several years in the weather of WDC the stuff begins to
>  feather...handling this stuff after the process begins is not fun as one
>  picks up many tiny glass fibers in their skin which are near impossible
>  to remove, etc. The dip works great and looks good also...comes in
>  several colors, RED, BLUE, SILVER.

      A similar product is Liquid Electrical Tape carried by Champion Radio
Products. While it's primary application is electrical connections, it's a
really handy coating for other applications like protecting fiberglass and
other outdoor hardware. It's UV resistant and has "super dielectric strength".
Comes with a handy applicator brush too. Check out
http://www.championradio.com for more info. Seven bucks a jar.

     It's also excellent for coax joints - you can apply over the electrical
tape for a bombproof connection.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC
Champion Radio Products