[TowerTalk] More on the fiberglass/KT34XA problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] More on the fiberglass/KT34XA problem
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 19:13:10 -0400
> I spoke with KLM about the problem of the 4" fiberglass separators
starting
> to crumble and was told that the cause is pollution.

UV light kills many types of fiberglass. It causes the bonding agent to
crumble.

I had some flat insulators with one side exposed to sunlight. After six
years in the Georgia sun, UV light pollution stripped the outer layers. I
used the same material in a battery box for my race car, and it looks as
good today as the day I installed it.

I took down a BC tower in rural Alabama, and the fiberglass rods supporting
a feedline were deteriorated ONLY on the south side of the tower leg and
feedline, where they were exposed to sunlight all day.

Of course it could be acid raid. That stuff is amazing. I had an automotive
paint job go bad two days after I picked up the car. The painter said the
water spots UNDER the clear coat were caused by acid rain, despite the fact
it hadn't rained and the car was kept in a garage.

73 Tom