[TowerTalk] TVI: them not me.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TVI: them not me.
From: rodman@acsu.buffalo.edu (D. Rodman, MD)
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 08:17:43 -0400 (EDT)
After about 10 years of being off the air, I replaced an aged antenna and
wanted to get back on.  My previous attempts produced an FCC inspection by
my closest neighbor who complained of "interference" problems.  The
situation was so upsetting, that I lost interest in operating the station
and let it go all these years.  I replaced the yagi, this spring and
finally had a chance to make a few contacts with my barefoot exciter on
the HF bands.  The calls have started again.

Naturally, the FCC inspection produced a "clean" report of my equipment
last time.

The upshod is a case of rectification of signal and RF overload, but the
complaintant was unwilling to do anything about it.  They feel it should
be not their problem and they should not share my hobby or have their home
enteratinment ruined.

Technically, I have been able to produce some 3rd and 4th harmonic TVI
interference on my cable system, mostly on the second floor of my house.
This is from my 100-150 watt CW signal on 15 meters only.  20 is clean.
My home theater gets some overload too, but since I do not watch TV while
I am operating, it is no real problem.

My neighbor has given me only bits and pieces of information, but it seems
all cable channels are affected, unlike my cable channel 3 & 6.

The setup I have is very modest.  I have a crank up tower with an X9 at 60
ft and a single sloper for some other frequencies.  My house is UNDER the
tower, but my neighbor is located 50-100 ft away.  He has a big house.
There are above ground power lines and cable in the area.

Why do I overload everything there and almost nothing here?  It is hard to
believe this location is so susceptable to RF overload.

Interestingly enough, as of September 15, the FCC has taken back the
investigations of complaints from the ARRL volunteer system.  I am sure
that this will rapidly escalate in headaches and problems.

Anyone out there have any good technical information or advice for me?

73,

David J. Rodman, MD
Assistant Clinical Professor
Department of Ophthalmology