[TowerTalk] Corrosion Protection of Tower Base

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Corrosion Protection of Tower Base
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider, N3RR)
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 18:45:15 +0100
Bruce,

Seems we're talking about apples and oranges.  There is a typo in my post.
Should
be: "In addition, you shouldn't bury the base [not "legs"] anyway."  I meant of
course, the concrete base.  You quoted that part of my post, yet your tower
didn't
use concrete!!  Apples and oranges.

If you meant to refer to my other post, I still stand by it.  That you didn't
have
any problems when you coated the entire leg(s) with tar, simply means that the
other grounding you did to the tower was sufficient for the conditions you
experienced.  If you had an electrical connection to the ground through the
legs,
it would have been an alternate, not needed in your case, but might have been
useful in another's case where the ground grid might not have been good, etc.

By the way, I was tongue-in-cheek when I said "Unless you are one of
those guys who takes apart his tower every 3-5 years (and I assume that means
digging up the base and re-installing it)..."  Wow, you mean there are guys who
do
this!!  I was kidding, continuing the theme that someone else posted earlier!!!!

Bill, N3RR