[TowerTalk] Corrosion Protection of Tower Base

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Corrosion Protection of Tower Base
From: garyk9gs@solaria.sol.net (Gary Schwartz)
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 21:54:38 -0500 (CDT)
On Sun, 11 Oct 1998 w2xx@cloud9.net wrote:

> The best way to prevent the problem you described is to *not bury the
> legs* and the top of the concrete base.
>
> In all of their factory drawings, Rohn (and every other tower company
> I have ever seen) specifies that the concrete base must be above
> grade for a few (4-5") inches and properly crowned so that water
> is not allowed to collect and sit around the tower legs.

I think that the reason people want to have the top of the base below
grade is to allow for removal of the tower by cutting the legs off and
filling in the remaining hole with soil and leaving the base in place for
the next unsuspecting homeowner to find.

I have never tried this but I don't see why it would not work.  Why not
pour the base below grade as described in the original post and then using
some 2X4's to make a temporary form larger than the original base and pour
this "finish" cap of concrete after the first pour has cured completely.
I don't know if something would need to be placed on the top of the
original concrete to keep the concrete and the new concrete from bonding
together or not....maybe a sheet of plastic or tar paper???

Then when you want to move, just crack the finish cap off to get to the
original base, cut off the tower legs as usual and fill in the hole with
dirt.

You may need to seal around the circumference of the joint with roofing
tar to keep the water out???  Don't forget to crown the finish cap to keep
water from pooling against the legs.

Any thoughts on if this would work??

73,
Gary K9GS