[TowerTalk] 10 METERS GIANT ANTENNA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 10 METERS GIANT ANTENNA
From: n7ml@imt.net (Mike Lamb)
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 23:55:31 -0600
Hello Bill,

Well, let's see, I had 4 each m2 2.0 wavelength (40 ft. boom) antennas that
were separated about 26 feet horizontally and 30 feet vertically.  They worked
great like I said for EME or for terrestrial work if I had a chance to point
the antennas properly.  In the sporadic E openings that were fast in and out,
often I simply found that I could not get them aimed before the band closed
(during the summer months you have an MUF that is not quite 50 MHz and a small
meteor burst will give you a reasonable opening in a particular direction for
30 seconds up to maybe 2 minutes.  Under those conditions, I find that a stack
of Halo's will actually be a big advantage even over a single yagi.)

On HF, I doubt that anyone could get the equivalent of what I had on six (try
80 ft. horizontally and 95 ft. vertically on 20 meters), so what your friend
said is probably true within normal limits on HF.