[TowerTalk] Re:stainless steel guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re:stainless steel guys
From: ni6w@yagistress.minden.nv.us (Kurt Andress)
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 21:34:51 -0800

Stan Griffiths wrote:

> Here is another thought on this:  If you are considering stainless thimbles,
> I would say you need to consider stainless wire rope clips (cable clamps)
> too.  And then, what about stainless turnbuckles?  Stainless earth anchors?
> SOMEWHERE you have to have stainless touching galvanized unless you want a
> stainless tower . . . !
>
> Stan  w7ni@teleport.com

Hi Stan,

Yep! Your logic is correct.

Unfortunately, there's no free lunch! The use of stainless pullup cable solves
the corroding cable problem, but creates a galvanic corrosion problem at the
connection.

At least with the SS cable, one only needs to inspect the connections to figure
out when to replace the parts, instead of the entire cable length.

One needs to decide where is the best place to have the SS/Galvanized interface.

I would suggest it is the place that is easiest to view during inspection and is
cheapest to replace.
My preference would be to use SS thimbles and cable calmps, that can be
purchased from MSC or any other outlet that stocks SS rigging parts. Then the
SS/Galv interface is between the thimble and the galvanized tower connection.
This is just a small line contact in most cases.

It would probably be best to add a galvanized link between the tower and the
thimble. So that, when the connection turns to custard, the thimble and link can
be replaced. Peanuts, compared to a new cable or corroded permanent part of the
tower.

73, Kurt

--
YagiStress - The Ultimate Software for Yagi Mechanical Design
Visit http://www.freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress/