[TowerTalk] Re:stainless steel guys

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re:stainless steel guys
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 01:13:49 -0800
There are really TWO separate issues at stake here.  One of them involves
mechanical
weakening of the system due to corrosion and the other involves the possible
formation of rectifying diodes that can cause intermods when different metals
are in
contact.  I am not an expert on either problem, just aware they both exist . . .

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com

Kurt Andress wrote:

> Stan Griffiths wrote:
>
> > Here is another thought on this:  If you are considering stainless thimbles,
> > I would say you need to consider stainless wire rope clips (cable clamps)
> > too.  And then, what about stainless turnbuckles?  Stainless earth anchors?
> > SOMEWHERE you have to have stainless touching galvanized unless you want a
> > stainless tower . . . !
> >
> > Stan  w7ni@teleport.com
> >

> Hi Stan,
>
> Yep! Your logic is correct.
>
> Unfortunately, there's no free lunch! The use of stainless pullup cable solves
> the corroding cable problem, but creates a galvanic corrosion problem at the
> connection.
>
> At least with the SS cable, one only needs to inspect the connections to
> figure
> out when to replace the parts, instead of the entire cable length.
>
> One needs to decide where is the best place to have the SS/Galvanized
> interface.
>
> I would suggest it is the place that is easiest to view during inspection and
> is
> cheapest to replace.

Big snip right here.